Though a straight line appears to be the shortest distance between 2 points, life has a way of confounding geography. Often it is the dalliances and the detours that define us. There are no maps to guide our most important searches; we must rely on hope, chance, intuition and a willingness to be surprised.

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

H-A-L-F-W-A-Y !!! 250 miles done


When I got back to Edinburgh on Sunday afternoon, I walked another 10 miles along the canal to the bypass and back. Not an exciting walk but enough to take me to a big milestone – 250 miles!!

So how’s it gone so far? To be honest, I’ve twice thought I’d never even make it this far. First I had to take two weeks off with my sore right foot. And then just as I recovered from that I got badly bruised ribs in a high-speed (go-kart) crash. But in the last 2 weeks I’ve started to make a comeback, and, like a cross between Lazarus and the naked rambler (but not actually naked), I may have a fighting chance of getting to the finishing line.

But hold on. What’s the point in talking about anything that can be just as pointlessly converted into an Excel chart?

Entering the golden cone (© Dave Gorman)

My flying-out date is the 4th of September. Realistically, I’ll need to finish up a week before then, and in any case the 10 weeks I set myself will be up on the 27th. I have done 250 miles in 7 weeks and have 3 to go. So, with miles on the vertical axis and days on the horizontal axis, you can see my initial modest progress in the bottom left hand corner. Podiatric disaster struck at the 2 week marker, resulting in a period of flat-lining (I know how to make a sore foot sound dramatic), followed by a return to a steady trend and more recently an increased inclination back towards the target line. Conclusion? I have less than 3 weeks to do 250 miles, which is about a half-marathon a day… help!!!!!

250 miles done, way-hey!

No comments: