Though a straight line appears to be the shortest distance between 2 points, life has a way of confounding geography. Often it is the dalliances and the detours that define us. There are no maps to guide our most important searches; we must rely on hope, chance, intuition and a willingness to be surprised.

Thursday, August 17, 2006

From Source to Sea (part 2)


At the 25 mile mark I was relieved and cheered-up to be joined by my very good and very old friend Stuart. Stuart buddied me along for 10 miles, and insisted on a couple of pub-stops in Failford and Stair.


In contemplation of an Ayrshire hostelry. After leaving Stuart at the Stair Inn, I had another 10 miles to go to the sea.



Walking the whole distance in one day gave me a pretty amazing perspective on the river, and I guess on all rivers. At the start of the day I could literally step from one bank to the other.

At the 35 mile mark, much larger contrivances are needed to cross the same river. Having never hugged a tree, it was a much more moving experience than I’d have expected. Seriously, I was quite emotional, though I might have been slightly delirious from exhaustion and the ibuprofen I was taking for my ankles…




Left - first view of Arran. Nearly, there.

Right - racing (crawling really) against the sunset. Nearly, nearly there.

---

Ayr beach. Done it! The walk was officially opened in June. I won’t be the first to have done the walk in a day, but maybe one of the first few.

So a big bite out of the target clocking up 43.5 miles. (I also managed to lose my way at one point but lets gloss over that.)

I'd already covered 12.5 miles round the Braid Hills in Edinburgh on Tuesday night and another 7 miles round Corstorphine golf course and Murrayfield stadium on Wednesday night.

So the ‘big’ big walk took me to 324.5 miles.

No comments: